Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My how the cookie crumbles

Within the past week, things are just going wrong a lot. I am still in a constant state of newlywed blind bliss.. but I can't deny all of the things "hitting the fan" so to speak.

A few months before Larry and I got married I decided to leave my job. I loved the people there, but the job itself was so physically and emotionally demanding that I couldn't do it and focus on being a "bride" at the same time. So, with the encouragement of my mr. and some guts I mustered up for just long enough.. I quit. Now that the wedding is over, it's time to get back to life and back to reality (in your head now!).

I have been applying for jobs like a mad woman! I've had a few interviews, but nothing has stuck quite yet. Ideally I want to find something that doesn't require me to work on weekends so that I can fully enjoy as much time as possible with my hubby. But let me tell you- I can't get a job (or extra income) quickly enough! I am to the point where I think I may just apply for a regular retail job for the time being to get some extra moolah coming in while I look for a job that better suites what I am looking for. Bummer, yes.. but will it help stop the current bleeding in our checking account- also yes.

It just so happens that TN's hot weather, recent budgeting by our apartment community, and other little cruddy things have come together to create the perfect storm to swoosh away financial comfort. I kid you not- our town house is so poorly built and horribly ignored by maintenance that our electric bill is $250 each month- extremely high for a relatively small 1000sq ft apartment if you ask me. And that is with us being frugal minded!

The hubs and I had an idea today actually- we are seriously considering moving our king sized mattress from our upstairs bedroom to our downstairs living room. Go ahead- laugh. Laugh at the idea that we pay a ridiculous amount of rent for a crappy unit that we are preparing to only use half of in order to manage our electric bill each month. :( I kid you not.. downstairs I am always bundled up under blankets to keep warm in the 65 degree igloo we call our living room, while upstairs its mainly tank tops and undies to try and limit the amount of sweating I do in the 85 degree sauna we call our bedroom. Just imagine what it would be like up there if we didn't freeze ourselves downstairs! So, we may try the mattress in the living room thing. I used to be curious what a "studio" apartment would be like anyway.... haha! At least we could keep the downstairs a reasonable temperature that way and still sleep comfortably at night.

Other things wrong with our unit- I am pretty sure our neighbor beats her son. You have never heard a kid cry like this one does. Our kitchen floor is crooked. The counter next to the sink is slanted- causing any and all spills to go directly under the microwave. and hardly any of our cabinets stay shut. We have resulted to storing cleaning supplies on top of the stove because the dogs are continuously pulling them out of the cabinets! And something tells me that there is only so much scrubbing bubbles one can ingest.

Despite all that is going on, we are getting by just fine. We couldn't do it on our own though. Larry and I are so thankful to have people in our lives who are there for us. It definitely makes going through all that we are going through easier. My parents especially have blessed us. They have done so much for us that they never had to do. It really scares me to think about where we might be today if we didnt have them loving and supporting us every step of the way, in every way they know how. As much as I hate needing the help, I love knowing that they are there for us 100%, to catch us when they can and help us lay a sturdier path for our future together.

All that being said- I cant wait to move. I cant wait to have a place we actually love and can start actually LIVING in together, instead of just "getting by". I can't wait to get a job to help take some of the pinch off of our finances and get things back on track so we don't have to worry so much. But even though all of our cookies are crumbling around us, I wouldn't have it any other way. A lot of people start out in a bind, I guess, and I wouldn't want to go through all of these stresses with anyone else in the world besides my husband who I absolutely trust, adore, and admire. We have high hopes for our family, and I know that if we believe in ourselves and in each other we can accomplish anything and everything we could ever dream of!

Now.. I've got to start rearranging the living room ;)

-Mrs. Knox

No comments:

Post a Comment